LOCOLINC® Addressable Radio Control Systems
A PRODUCT CONCEPT OVERVIEW
LOCOLINC® has been designed to provide model railroaders with a comprehensive
control system for the entire layout: locomotives and accessories. LOCOLINC
control systems offer the hobbyist an unprecedented level of control realism.
These achievements are the result of state-of-the-art engineering design
using radio frequency and microprocessor technologies not previously applied
to model railroad hobby electronics.
LOCOLINC has been designed as a comprehensive control system, offering features
and capabilities model railroad hobbyists have been asking for:
- Hand-held, wireless control for complete freedom of mobility to a
range of 150 feet.
- A comprehensive control system capable of controlling locomotives
as well as accessories on the layout.
- Simple multiple locomotive unit (MU) operation.
- Eliminates cumbersome wiring configurations because LOCOLINC uses
air (radio waves) rather than the rails as the transmission medium.
LOCOLINC remains the only control system for model railroad hobbyists which
allows direct, wireless transmission to each locomotive and accessory on
the layout. LOCOLINC controls d.c. devices, a.c. devices via solenoids or
relays, and is compatible with battery packs popularly used in outdoor layouts.
LOCOLINC transmits radio frequency signals directly to the locomotive or
accessory device being controlled. Unlike other control devices on the market,
the LOCOLINC control system does not use the rails as the
transmission medium. LOCOLINC users enjoy full freedom
of movement to a distance of minimally 150 feet,without tether. Because
LOCOLINC does not use the rails for transmission, gone are the tedious block
layout schemes with their switching mechanisms or the tethered multi-conductor
bus and layout wiring schemes with their endless tangles of expensive wiring.
The hand-held LOCOLINC transmitter features a 10-key pad and mode and
direction switches for entering the identification (ID) number and the instruction
to the device being addressed. In locomotive mode, "LOCO", a two-digit
ID number, preprogrammed by the user, selects the locomotive to receive
the transmission. This number appears as the first and second digits on
the transmitter's LCD display. Up and down buttons are depressed to increase
or decrease speed. Speed is displayed as the third digit and represents
percent of full throttle. A "2", for example, indicates 20% of
full power -- much like a microwave oven setting. A direction switch is
toggled left or right to change direction of the locomotive. An "EMERGENCY"
setting on the mode switch cancels instructions to all locomotives under
control and brings them to a rolling stop. Locomotive receivers are available
in 1 Amp, 2 Amp, and 5 Amp current ratings, and a dual servo driver for
such devices as live steam.
In accessory mode, "ACC", the LOCOLINC transmitter sends signals
to an identified accessory receiver. Accessory receivers are available to
control twin-coil switch machines, motor-driven turnouts, and logic devices.
When addressing an accessory device, the user enters the preprogrammed two-digit
receiver ID number and the third individual device number. These numbers
are displayed on the LCD. Direction is changed by the up and down buttons.
The LOCOLINC transmitter transmits only at the instant a change of state
instruction is given. It does not transmit continuously as is the case for
many model aircraft and vehicle controllers. Each LOCOLINC locomotive receiver
retains speed and direction information in memory until it is changed. The
hobbyist is free to proceed in controlling the other locomotives and accessories
on the layout.
LOCOLINC addressable radio control system features and capabilities include:
- Addressable, radio frequency operation for independent control of
locomotives and accessories within a 150-foot range.
- Supports all scales N through G.
- Choice of three transmitters for maximum system capacities as follows:
Transmitter Max.# Max.# # MU'ed # Sets
Model Number Loco- Access- Trains(1) Dispatcher
motives ories Switched
KT-16 16 64 3 1
KT-32 32 128 3 2
KT-64 64 256 5 4
(1) Each train consists of up to 4 locomotives.
(2) Each set of "Dispatcher Switched" turnouts consist of up to
LOCOLINC is patented and the recipient of two industrial design awards.
LOCOLINC control systems have been shipped since September, 1992.
- Supports track or battery powered locomotives and accessory devices.
Operates with regulated track voltages of 12 to 18 Volts d.c., 12 to 14
Volts for layouts utilizing 1 Amp locomotive receivers.
- Simple MU operation. With LOCOLINC, configuring and operating multiple
locomotive train configurations looks just like real life.
- Real time sound operation for select aftermarket sound systems: Dallee,
LGB, Lionel, Ott, PH, and Phoenix.
- Unique bridge network eliminates polarity considerations in reverse
loop operations. This means an end to complex and cumbersome voltage switching
- Small locomotive receivers. The 1 Amp receiver, for example, is a
mere 0.5" x 1.75" x 0.7".
- Locomotive receivers available in a choice of three current ratings:
1 Amp, 2 Amp and 5 Amp, and a dual servo driver to accommodate most d.c.
devices and model scales.
- Exceptional slow speed control ­p; the best on the market.
- Exclusive slow speed adjustment allows you to compensate for slow
speed motor inefficiency.
- Locomotive speed indicator. The transmitter displays a third digit
indicating percentage of full throttle, i.e., 3 indicates 30% full throttle.
- Directional lighting feature automatically changes a locomotive's
direction lighting whenever a change of locomotive direction is commanded.
- Controls motorized or twin-coil turnouts.
- "Dispatcher Switching" feature allows simultaneous control
of up to four turnouts. Turnouts may also be operated individually.
- Current limiting and thermal overload protection.
For further information call, fax, or write us at:
Keithco, Inc., P.O. Box 1806, Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035 USA.
Copyright 1997-2010, all rights reserved. LOCOLINC is a registered
trademark of Keithco, Inc.
Phone: (503) 635-7604 Fax: (503) 699-0434
RETURN TO LOCOLINC HOMEPAGE